Your Cart

Why silver jewellery is made in 925 silver

Why silver jewellery is made in 925 silver

May 01, 2023

Meghna Agrawal

925 silver, also known as sterling silver, is a popular material for making jewellery. The name "925 silver" comes from the fact that it contains 92.5% silver, with the remaining 7.5% made up of other metals, usually copper.

This combination of metals gives 925 silver its unique properties. While pure silver is soft and malleable, the addition of copper makes it stronger and more durable, making it suitable for use in jewellery.

In order for a piece of silver jewellery to be considered sterling silver, it must contain at least 92.5% silver. The other metals added to the silver are typically chosen for their ability to enhance the silver's properties, such as increasing its strength, improving its resistance to tarnish, and giving it a brighter shine.

One of the key benefits of 925 silver is its versatility. It can be used to create a wide range of jewellery styles, from delicate and intricate designs to bold and chunky pieces. It's also a great option for people with sensitive skin, as it's less likely to cause an allergic reaction than other metals like nickel.

However, despite its many benefits, 925 silver does require some care and maintenance to keep it looking its best. Over time, silver can tarnish or develop a patina, which is a darkening of the surface. This is a natural process that occurs due to exposure to air, moisture, and other environmental factors.

To keep your 925 silver jewellery looking its best, it's important to store it properly and clean it regularly. You can use a silver polishing cloth or a mild soap and water solution to clean your silver jewellery, and avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasives that could damage the metal.

Overall, 925 silver is a popular and versatile choice for jewellery makers and wearers alike. Its unique properties and beautiful appearance make it a timeless classic that's sure to remain a popular choice for years to come.